Friday, January 20, 2012

Language

Do you know how much our language affects our kiddos?! It is CRAZY to me how much they pick up on, even at the young ages of 3 and 4!! Wyatt and I don't use bad words at all, they just aren't in our vocabulary, so we watch what we say, but mostly we are cautious about the tones in our voice and the sarcasm that we use!!!! Unfortunately that is NOT the case for many other people!! I often cringe when we walk past young teenagers, or a couple that is arguing...even commercials on tv! WOW!! Don't these people that my precious, innocent young kiddos are present, AND, listening, AND soaking in every words they are hearing to "try on" mommy and daddy later!?! ! Even when we are watching Dancing with the Stars... some of the language is absolutely unacceptable!!! Do we even realize that they words that come out of our mouths are a direct reflection of what our hearts looks like!? Now, I will be the first to say that sometimes my words aren't as gentle as they should be, BUT, I don't speak harshly or meanly or profanely!! We want our words to directly reflect Christ!! Lord, hear our prayers! Please help us to be so focused on you, that every thing that we do and say reflect YOU!! Please dwell in Maddie and Zack's hearts as well, so they may turn their eyes and minds on you!

"May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

1 comment:

Katie said...

You are so right! Awhile back we were really having a hard time with Max's whining and the way he was speaking to us. We could not figure out where it was coming from. Then one day I sat down and watched an episode of Caillou (his favorite show at the time) with him. I realized that a lot of the time when Max was whining he was using exact Caillou quotes! Except Cuillou's whining usually got him what he wanted and Max's didn't! I am so frustrated that even children's shows and BOOKS are setting such bad examples for our kids!