Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Lots of Thoughts

When I was in third grade my Sunday School teacher challenged us to memorize a book of the Bible. I am not such a good memorizer, so obviously I did not think that this was a great idea. However everyone else thought it was a great idea we decided to take on the challenge. Our class decided that James was the book for us to memorize, so we started studying it. Every week our teacher would assign us a different verse, we would learn what it meant, how we could apply it to our lives, and then we memorized it. It was amazing how "easy" memorization came when the verses really meant something to me! Sometimes as a child I did not think that the Bible applied to me, I thought it was just for my mom and dad, and the nice man who yelled at us from the pulpit every week! :)
But learning about scripture and how it affected my family and I made a HUGE impact on me.
One of the big ideas of Classical Education is memorization. At GDA we teach Classical Ed., (for a full definition of what "Classical Education" is, please ask for the 5 pages of notes I took on Classical education for my interview for this job. Did I end up needing them? No! Did they even ask me about it? NO! But if you need great notes, I have them! ) so I am having my students memorize poems, and we are currently memorizing all of the countries in Africa. We are also memorizing scripture (Psalm 47 is our scripture for the month.) IT IS AMAZING how much joy my 5 year olds receive from hiding scripture in their hearts!! We go through each verse, talk about what it means, and then we memorize it together!! IT IS SUCH A JOY to see them at such an early age memorizing the Word of God!!! Priceless!!
I did not memorize the entire book of James like my Sunday School teacher might have hoped, but I did memorize the first chapter. Having this scripture in my heart and mind often eases worry and doubt away. Just the other day, someone flat out told me that they thought my joy was annoying and that they wish I was not so happy all of the time. Obviously I was hurt. I love living life through Christ, why not have joy??? How could you not be happy? I realize that life is not perfect, but life with Christ is pretty amazing!! So I started thinking, "I do not want to be annoying, am I turning people off of Christ because they think I am superficial???" Will you all please hold me accountable for this. If I ever get to a point where you feel I am giving off some sort of fake or superficial vibe, PLEASE let me know. I always want to be encouraging and uplifting, not a pain in the butt!

When I was thinking through all of this, the one James chapter that I have memorize popped into my mind, it was a true blessing of reassurance from God!

"
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does." James 1:2-8

What an incredible chapter!! We PRAISE YOU Father for the way you always encourage us through your Word!


3 comments:

Andy said...

Um, WOW! I know I just commented earlier today about something similar, but you are definitely a joy-filled person and it is contagious. Keep the blogs coming. Count me in your loyal reader club.

Paige Ferg said...

You are full of joy, yes, yes you are. That is the first thing I noticed about you. The first and a half thing I noticed was that you love God and Christ and People. The second thing I noticed was that you were REAL. I have met a lot of fake people in my life and, honey, you are not fake. You shine when you hear something exciting, you shine when troubles come your way, you shine b/c you love something more powerful and bigger than what may lie ahead of you. You are a great friend, and a great leader. Bless you for being you. Bless you for showing all of us how we should act. And thank God there are people out there who are distrubed by happiness, so that we may show them the Light. Smile on little lady, b/c Andy is right it is contagious and that is what the world needs.

Todd said...

You are such an encouragment. Your upbeat and positive attitude is truly amazing. I can't wait for this weekend to have some good ole' county fun!! Yee haw!