Wednesday, November 09, 2011

"Sorry"

I hate it when people use this word, to get out of things! You know...the heartless, mindless, non-commital, just-say-it-because-you-feel-like-you- have-to say-something-- "SORRY!" Grrrrr!! It is absolutely one of my pet peeves!! (DO you know the "sorry I am talking about!?!) You absolutely cannot mean that you are sorry for something if you say it 100 times within a 5 minute period!!! It is obvious that you don't mean it...you are just trying to show that you realize that you are doing something wrong and want to address it in the most non-commital way possible!! I see this in kiddos, I see it mostly in adults and it is a word we are teaching to our kids that really holds NO meaning and purpose!! DON'T say it if you don't meant it!! Our words must be spoken with intention and purpose, not just to get out of something!!

Since our kids are SO close together, they kind of figure things out at the same time!! :) Our kids are really good friends, they love to be together and appreciate that they always have each other around! Just recently have they figured out how to argue! Oh boy...take a deep breath and keep typing! :) In our household whenever someone gets into trouble they are required to say that they are sorry and ask for forgiveness!! Now, this is no easy task my friends, it is HARD to ask for forgiveness for doing something wrong to someone else!!! We also don't allow our kids to say grumpily or rudely, "SORRY!" and brush off whatever they have done! How will they EVER learn from that!?!? They won't friends, they won't lean, in fact they WILL learn that they can be rude and disrespectful and get away with it!! Like many adults have!! Our kids must say, "I am sorry for______, will you please forgive me for ______!?" They aren't allowed out of time out until they say these words!

These words aren't just for our kiddos! Wyatt and I also tell each other that we are sorry for whatever specific reason and ask for forgiveness!! Parents must always take the lead and set a good example because your kiddos are watching, every move you make!! Scary right?! Whether you realize it or not, they are!! There are many times that I have to ask for forgiveness from my kiddos for acting grumpy or for not taking special time for them!!

As I have been thinking about this, I have often thought about my relationship with God! How often do I say "SORRY" to God and not really mean it!? How often do I brush off a mistake I have made or a sin I have committed without really stopping to think about it and ask for forgiveness!! I am so thankful that our God is One of love and grace, otherwise I would be in BIG trouble!

So, as I step down from my soap box, I will wrap this post up with this!! If you really ARE sorry, don't just try to brush it off with a brash "SORRY!" Put on your big girl (or big boy) underwear and say you are sorry and ask for forgiveness because you really are sorry about something and you are seeking forgivenss!!

2 comments:

Katie said...

So true! We also require our children to say "sorry" and ask for forgiveness in the right attitude. It is so hard to teach them this concept though. I really don't like it when I have to apologize to my kiddos for messing up but I agree with you, it is so necessary! I even find myself wanting to not mean it with my kiddos sometimes! Like I want to say, "sorry I snapped at you, BUT you weren't obeying Mommy" But, I have to catch myself and offer a REAL apology! They are never responsible for my inappropriate behavior! Good stuff!

Beth Branstetter said...

You are so right. I'm guilty of this. A lot of times, my pride gets in my way, and I don't want to say "sorry." Thanks for posting this! I needed a reminder myself!