Monday, September 15, 2008

"That Mom"

So this past week I took both of my kiddos to Wal- Mart! Since I had quite the lengthy list of stuff to get, I got a cart and arranged both of them in it so we still had room to get all of our groceries!! We walked through almost every section, because there is always so much to look at, especially this time of year! :) As we were finally nearing the end of our list both my kids got restless at the same time!! Maddie was in the front "basket" of the cart looking at me like I had gone insane for keeping her out so late (it was getting very close to nap time) and Zack was getting ready to wake up from his nap so he was making the occasional whimper!! I just kept thinking if I could make it down just a few more aisles we would have gotten everything on our list and we would be headed out!!! Well, Zack started crying so as I was trying to get the binky in his mouth (he is really not a binky sort of guy), I noticed that Maddie had gotten very quiet! VERY unusual for her!!I turned around just in time to see Maddie open with her teeth the bag in the box if cereal we had in our cart! All of its contents hit the floor!! I immediately dropped to the floor to try to pick everything up, but they were grape nuts, and you really can't pick up little tiny grape nuts by hand!! So sucking in my breath, I ventured a few rows over to find someone to help me clean up the mess. The young guy that came to clean up the grape nuts was so kind... he kept telling me not to worry about the mess, because "that sort thing happens a lot, especially with young kids!!" he said with a smirk! I thanked him profusely and continued on as Zack started crying hysterically and loudly! We just had two more things to get, so I ran into the next aisle to pick out a new kind of spaghetti sauce. As I was bending down to see what our options were, I saw the box on angel hair pasta that I had just picked up fall past me and explode on the floor!! Not again!! I looked up and Maddie was smiling triumphantly at me, she has been trying to get the box for a few minutes and she had finally gotten it!!! I was so embarrassed that we had made another mess!! So again, I ventured over a few rows to find some to help us clean up ( I went the other way in hopes that we wouldn't meet up with the same guy that had helped us first.) Wrongo!! The bakery had to call someone for clean-up and it was the same guy!! He looked at me like I was crazy and didn't say a word! (Please remember that Zack is screaming his bloody head off at this point! People are starting to stop to see that is going on!! I was indeed THAT MOM that had no control over her kids, and who was making a huge mess right in the middle of the Wal-Mart!!) I thanked him again! We checked out immediately (and with a few extra things that Maddie had thrown in our cart) and headed for the car!! It was insane!!!! As I told Wyatt and my family about it later that evening we all had a fun laugh!! Kids sure do bring out the best in you, and give you a strong sense of humility!! I will never judge a mom again who has a basket full of groceries and unhappy children again!! :):)

3 comments:

Paige Ferg said...

Sounds like a weekly adventure! At least Zack wasn't helping Maddie throw things in the floor. boys know how to throw really well...everything is a ball.

Rance, Elizabeth, Logan and Emma Walls said...

You are so brave.....I never go to the store alone!

Laura said...

Ah yes...I have almost given up going to any store by myself with Emily and Savannah--especially if I have to put them in the shopping cart together. Can I just say it's a good thing hair grows back on our children's heads--because if it didn't then mine would have ensured each other's hairlessness along time ago! I totally have been there--and it's not the last time either. Everyone has those moments. At least you can laugh about them later on .